Saturday, December 3, 2011

Kisapmata: Movie Rant



Kisapmata is a 1981 film directed by Mike De Leon [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kisapmata - BEWARE OF SPOILERS], that tackles issues of incest, Filipino traditions, marriage, and domestic abuse. It’s a drama film with a little twist of suspense and horror that left me with a queasy feeling in my stomach, and more respect for old Filipino films.

I loved Kisapmata for reasons I don’t usually have. I’m usually a hater of movies with dark lighting, unless I know that it’s a horror movie, and that at some point some creature with blood on their face is gonna come out to the screen. I also usually dislike watching Filipino movies, because Pinoy movies nowadays tend to give a shallow view of life. I do however have an affinity and respect to old movies. Especially because old movies consist of truly creative ideas, and the actors are really talented actors, and are not in the industry for their faces, but for their acting skills. And I was not wrong in thinking that this movie would have that element. The actors were great and effective. For me, there is no better way for being an effective actor than to stay in the minds and hearts of the viewers. When you shout at the screen out of extreme frustration over a character, then that character’s actor has done his/her job correctly.

That said, this movie, for me, would probably not have worked had Vic Silayan not been cast. His portrayal of an ex-cop, over-protective, and commanding father did the trick. Until now, I actually get wary of people who look like him, in the fear that they too will have a gun under their belt, and will have no second thoughts about raping any woman. His character was made very real that it was scary, especially since one could see men like him wandering around and it gave a sense of danger and fear.

The same thought arises in me when I thought about old films and old music; that they are full of raw and pure talent. This was no exception. That the actors were great were not enough. I love the fact that one look at the whole family, and people would already know something is amiss. I usually dislike movies tackling incest or domestic violence because it irritates me, no matter how much I know that it’s a very hard situation to be in, that people in those situations let themselves be victims. The loss of security and trust, most at the hands of the very people who are supposed to be one’s pillars, gives me the feeling of rawness and it’s very hard to take in.

For me, however, it was fortunate that I was not sympathetic of the characters. Granted, each of them left their mark, but I think that it was a good thing that I did not attach myself to any of their characters, because in that way it was not a hard process for me when they died. It would have been terrible to see them die without justice, help, and even a little fight, if I had attached myself to them.

Production-wise, it was fantastic. I kept in mind that this was an old movie, and negative comparisons to today’s technology is just plain foolish. It was even commendable how they used what little they had to such effectiveness. The scenes involved mostly just the house, and the haunting feeling of being stuck inside such a defective home actually helped in keeping the audience in the dark. Also, speaking of darkness, the amazing use of lighting and symbolism was incredible. Like I said, I’m not much for movies without much lighting, but this one just worked. Also, the way the actors immersed themselves in the characters and the way everything in the production embodied the darkness of the character’s personality defects worked like magic. Even if you see it for yourself, the use of such a normal-looking place which housed such a dark secret will also probably give you the creeps. It was magnified even by the fact that almost every other location other than that house was cheerful and jolly.

I didn’t understand much of the pacing though. It had a weird effect on me, I think. I couldn’t tell if the movie was going too fast or too slow. But for me, it actually just showed how twisted the movie was, since it was even able to impair my ability to properly access such a small matter.

All in all, I was entertained and I felt like I was devastated because it was all very raw and real. And it may be weird, but that for me was the icing on the cake. I mean come on, if it left me feeling all happy like a Disney movie, then I am not in the right mind. I would definitely want people to watch it, although I can’t say that I can do so soon, since the creepy feeling of seeing a murderous, suicidal, and incestuous father still lingers. Not that I’m complaining though.

No comments:

Post a Comment